Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Upcycled Tie Necklace Tutorial

Mr. Aletha has more ties then I have shoes. I am not even joking. Some of them I love, some I hate, and  some of them he hates and then they make there way to the donation pile or to craft land aka my studio. I love ties because of the tiny prints, rich colors, and the beautiful sheen of the silk. But there is not a lot of fabric when they are deconstructed. You could patchwork them, but that can easily turn hippie dippy.

Inspiration hit after purchasing a necklace from Banana for a friend..... I give you-

DIY Tie Necklace Tutorial

These are so quick and easy you can whip one up for every outfit and they are the perfect gift for your hipster friends. Head over the the thrift store if you want to score some really great patterns and colors. Any large beads will work. I found mine at Michael's (40% of course), this is also the perfect project to deconstruct a cheep, ugly, Mardi Gras Necklace. (BIG BEADS WORK BEST!)


A picture is worth a 1000 words, but for those how might need a few more to get the job done...

1. Deconstruct the tie, starting in the back, carefully split the stitches and then remove the guts. Be careful not to tear or put a hole in the the tie. Iron Flat. Trim into a long strip from tip to tip. Mine was about 3.5" wide. This will vary from tie to tie. **Note skinny ties won't  work as well and will need smaller beads.
2. Fold in half right sides together. Sew the bottom end closed, and continue around starting down the length of the tie. Stop after about 3" and back stitch. Skip two inches and start again. (see image 2)
3. Turn right-side out through the opening. Press flat.
4. Tie a knot at about 7 inches and drop in a bead. Knot, drop a bead, repeat about 8 times. I left about 7 inches of space for the bow because I like a big bow and the option to shorten or lengthen the necklace. This will also vary from tie to tie. It will take a bit of trial and error, just move your knots if you need more or less room to keep the ties even. Keep going until you have matching slack on both ends. Hand sew the hole closed. 


Tie a pretty bow, slip it on and start collecting compliments. The uglier the tie, the prettier the necklace. This DIY repurposing project is quick and easy, but best of all chic. Send me images or links, I love seeing what your making.


24 comments:

  1. I love all your ideas. But I am yet to find the time to try one. But I plan on it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a SWELL idea. And near instant gratification! Thank you for putting this together. When I make one I will be sure to send you some pics. :) Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow this is an amazing tutorial..!
    after a trip to New Orleans, just what I need :)
    thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I am going o be making loads of these as presents (I have quite the stockpile of old ties!) Shared your idea on my blog:
    http://alethaisraels.blogspot.com/2011/02/upcycled-tie-necklace-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really great idea! I am gonna try to do it with marbles or glass decorations, like the kind people use in flower vases because it would be even cheaper than buying beads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just stumbled across your blog via pinterest (and a link to this page-- can't wait to make one of these necklaces!!) i love your tutorials! you seem to make a lot of the same things i do and in the same manner. (though I have to say you're quite a bit more organized than I am!!)
    anywho-- kudos to you! you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just discovered this via pinterest! What a great idea! And thanks for the tutorial, will try it over the weekend. Congratulations on a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally doing this!!I love love love the finished look and have been holding on to one of my grandfather's ties for a long time. This will be the perfect way to repurpose it; plus it'll have special meaning to me! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cool idea - my hubby has so many ties that he does not wear. I cannot wait to try this!
    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I saw this diy posted on Pinterest. I will definitely make as I've got some ties my boyf wants to throw away. How long did it take you to make this?


    Friday's Child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this idea!!! and the results are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made my own. Thanks for this idea. Love it. Here is mine: http://pinterest.com/pin/233483561901638694/
    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for such an easy and great looking necklace. I went to a rumage sale today and bought 7 old ties ($4.50). Put the first one together and it came out great. I was looking for something that was cheap, looked good, and didn't take a lot of labor. This is it. Thanks Again

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic idea! I've been making vintage fabric necklaces of the same style... I'm off to raid my partner's side of the wardrobe now! :D Thanks for sharing!

    Cass
    http://casscansew.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  15. I sell theese in my etsy shop! Go take a look! www.etsy.com/shop/davidsjournies

    ReplyDelete
  16. super cool! im using this as part of my project at school, thanks a ton! my dad has enough ties to wrap up the empire state building and now i can helphim out by getting rid of those stinkin things and making them into adorable necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What size bead do you use mm wise?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is soooooo beautiful and I am going to make some tomorrow....thanks for sharing your awesome skills.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to Goodwill this week to recreate this- brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mom used to make these when I was little. She tried to save money by replacing the beads with marbles she purchased at the local dollar store. The tie material idea is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea! I have made this from scrapfabrics but now i know what to do with some old Cristmasgifts of my partner. Thank you mother in law for all the Mickey Mouse ones!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello! I add a link to this page. Take a look here. http://donneinpink.blogspot.it/2014/03/come-riciclare-le-vecchie-cravatte.html I hope you appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete